I decided to get festive with my nails for the Fourth of July this week and paint them to look like little watermelons. I know, not exactly patriotic or anything, but watermelon is an essential component to my favorite summer holiday. We always cut big slices of watermelon, put them in a cooler, and enjoy a few pieces while we watch the fireworks at night. Watermelon brings back a lot of great summer memories for me! After I posted my nails on Instagram the other day I've recieved a few requests on how I did it. It is actually pretty easy, even on the right hand (or left hand if you are left-handed)! ;)
1. I painted on a coat of the base color and let it dry.
2. I used this scallop edge tutorial from Dapper Toad because I don't have any nail tape at the moment. I thought the scallops would look neater than my attempt at a straight line! Haha. If you replace the pink-watermelon nail color with red, the scallop edge makes the nails look like strawberries too! Fun! Use a round pin to add dots of green close to the edge of the nail.
3. Fill in the space between the dots and nail tip with more green.
4. Using a nail pen or a toothpick, apply black dots on top to look like watermelon seeds.
5. Add a top coat to seal in the design.
Maybe you could give yourself a summery manicure this weekend. :)
Happy Friday! What do you have planned for the next few days?